Sunday, January 4, 2009

Big Girl Panties

I know Andrew is going to kill me one day for posting this, but it's just too funny not to share! I decided to try to potty train this weekend, we were home, social pressures, new baby coming, and he had been telling Chad he wanted to pee on the potty. We made a big deal out of going to Wal Mart and letting him pick out big boy underwear, pull ups and M&M treats. Well, he didn't like wearing the underwear and was upset that they weren't shirts. Apparently when he picked them out (Thomas, Cars, Diego and SpiderMan), he thought he was getting shirts? He wanted them off and wanted to wear "big girl panties" like Kate and Kiki. So, I decided to try the Pull-Ups. He kept arguing with me and telling me that they were diapers but he still wore them. In the meantime, he's pee-pee'd on the potty about 5 times and only 1 accident on the floor. The boy could squeeze out urine every 10 minutes for an M&M! He came to me screaming and crying, saying that his "pee-pee huts, Mommy kiss it". First, I had to explain that I can't kiss all boo-boos then Chad and I took a look to see what was wrong. We thought maybe he had pushed too hard trying to pee for those M&M's, but nothing was wrong. Later that night, he did the same thing, so I took the Pull-Up off to see of maybe it was irritating him. Well, I had bought Cool Alert Pull-Ups and they were getting super cold when he would pee in them and he didn't know how else to explain it other than saying that it hurt. So he asked me for "clean diaper please" and I put him back in diapers. The whole thing was pretty stressful and semi-traumatic for me. I think when he's really ready we'll know and I need to give it some more time. Until then, enjoy laughing at these pictures of him adjusting himself in his "big girl panties"


3 comments:

The Hills said...

Hey Amber! Been through the potty training fiascos myself. Must say, it does sound like Andrew is ready. Don't get discouraged or traumatized. What we did was start with pullups first. (they do make a kind that doesn't have the cool alert. You might try those) We took Wyatt to potty every hour on the hour until he got used to going. Once he was doing well staying dry we explained how big boys wear big boy underpants. Once we made the switch we took 3 days at home with a naked bottom boy running around. As soon as he would slow down, we would ask he he needed to potty. By the end of the first day he was coming to us telling us he needed to go potty. Now he is in big boy underpants and potty trained even through the night. It is a stressful journey at times, but remember it is potty TRAINING. It takes time, patience, and expect the accidents. They happen. Keep trying! Good luck!

Stephanie said...

I have no idea the best way to potty train. I just make them go naked for about 3 days and stay home following them around the whole time.
I called it Potty Training Boot camp. I may have told you this already but Bubba thought there was an actual "potty train" so we all went and rode the train after he pooped in the potty.
It might work with Andrew.
When there potty trained it really doesn't make your life that much easier so I wouldn't kill yourself trying. You still have to wipe their bottoms.

Dee-Dee said...

Those are the cutest pictures ever!! Beau would love those particular "big girl panties"!